thoughtbot partners with organizations of all sizes to design, develop, and grow their software-based products and services. We're looking for a Director of Design Strategy to join thoughtbot Ignite–a small team of 6-8 Product Designers and Developers who focus on working with early-stage businesses and products to define, validate, and bring them to life.
This position is fully remote and is open to applicants located anywhere in the United States.
thoughtbot cannot sponsor work visas at this time.
This Director of Design Strategy role at thoughtbot Ignite brings together three critical elements: early-stage product strategy, creative problem-solving, and Ignite team growth. As Director of Design Strategy, you will contribute to the following areas:
- Consult with clients on early-stage business, product, and go-to-market strategy.
- Design-Thinking and Process Facilitation
- Lead product discovery and validation projects by yourself or with a small team of Designers and Developers.
- Conduct research, usability testing, and review market and customer data to help define and clarify the product vision.
- Design and build prototypes used to validate assumptions during early-stage research and discovery, and to use as a basis for product development and roadmapping
- Support Proof of Concept or Early MVP projects with a small team of Designers and Developers.
- Address and mitigate team and project risks through project management and consulting.
- Conduct user research, customer discovery, and market research.
- Contribute as needed to inbound opportunities and customer success.
- Identify new opportunities within a network or existing projects/clients.
- Scoping and Estimation
- Discuss scope with clients and prospects (alongside Managing Director).
- Estimate project timelines and help develop project plans (alongside Managing Director).
Team Growth and Sustainability
- Work to grow the Ignite team’s reputation attracting great projects and great teammates.
- Collaborate with the Managing Director to manage the business and success of the Team.
- Support the growth of team members based on their professional goals and Ignite team goals.
Because we're looking for teammates who overlap with our clients' teams working hours, this is a remote position available to anyone throughout the United States(UTC-3 through UTC-10).
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development and maintenance process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done, and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our distributed remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
Want to dig deeper? Read more about our Purpose and Values, and how we work in our Playbook.
Well-qualified candidates will have excellent knowledge of product management, the ability to translate product strategy into detailed requirements, and facilitate product design sprints, user research, usability testing, and analyze market and customer data to validate a product or business roadmap. Candidates must have strong strategic thinking, creative problem solving, and critical thinking skills. Candidates must also have experience and interest in leading and growing a team of people.
Very well-qualified candidates will also have experience with consulting, and have a proven track record of attracting potential customers. Visual prototyping OR rapid proof-of-concept skills (custom code or low-code) are a big plus.
Qualified candidates value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
Well-qualified candidates demonstrate commitment to valuing DEI and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. We also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to commit to this work, and that's okay.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match 100% of the requirements. Let us know if you need any specific accommodations during the interview process.
All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification upon hire.