We’re looking for an experienced design leader to support and grow our team of Designers who code within Boost, while also continuing to be an individual contributor at most two days a week. Together we’ll build both great products and a great team.
As Design Director, you will mentor other designers on the team across a wide range of topics, including technology (HTML and CSS), consulting, and client relationships. You'll also work to build up the skills and capacities of our design team, support teammate engagement with the various design communities we are members of, and provide guidance, scoping, and support with business opportunities. You'll work together with the Managing Director and Development Director of Boost, alongside global thoughtbot leadership, to manage the business and success of the Team.
This is a fully remote position and is open to applicants located anywhere in the United States. We will begin reviewing applications for this role no earlier than October 28, 2021.
Salary and benefits vary by location and country. The US salary range for this role is $140,000- $165,000
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development and maintenance process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done, and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our distributed remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
Want to dig deeper? Read more about our Purpose and Values, and how we work in our Playbook.
Beyond hands-on technical work, you'll support the Boost design team through:
- Professional development: Because we’re often embedding thoughtbot teammates alongside our clients’ teams, we look to build up our skill sets to support engagements ranging from research and prototyping to visual design, UX design, and front-end implementation (HTML and CSS), while making suggestions on product and process improvements. As a technical leader, you’ll be responsible for teammate upskilling and professional development.
- Hiring new teammates: We expect to continue to grow the Boost team for both design consulting and adjacent roles. As a design leader, you’ll be responsible for maintaining high standards through the hiring process while continuing to work to reduce bias and ensure an equitable interview process for all candidates.
- Retaining teammates: We aim to put each teammate in a position where they can seek fulfillment in all that they do; as Design Director, you’ll work closely with the design team to understand what fulfills them, and work with the Development Director and Managing Director of Boost to ensure our work aligns with the desires of the team.
- Identifying and closing work: More than two-thirds of the clients we partner with return for additional engagements; as Design Director, you’ll work closely with our teams and clients to ensure high-quality work is delivered and engage with stakeholders at upcoming and current customers to scope and plan consulting engagements.
- Navigating consulting engagements: As software consultants, we work closely with our clients on a number of different types of engagements. In all cases, we’re brought in to consult on best practices and process improvements alongside technical work, the nature of which can be challenging given the need to navigate sometimes complex business relationships and needs across cross-functional teams.
Along with the other Directors on Boost, you'll be responsible for profitability of the team.
thoughtbot designers are fully capable of creating great visual design as well as doing great product design and user experience, and then implementing their designs with front-end technologies. As Design Director, you should be very experienced in at least one of these areas.
Very well-qualified candidates will also have experience leading consulting teams, and have a proven track record of attracting potential customers and maintaining long-term relationships.
Qualified candidates value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
Well-qualified candidates demonstrate commitment to valuing DEI and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. We also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to commit to this work, and that's okay.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match 100% of the requirements. Let us know if you need any specific accommodations during the interview process.
All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification upon hire.