We’re looking for an experienced technical leader to support and grow our development team within Boost, while also continuing to be an individual contributor at most two days a week. Together we’ll build both great products and a great team.
As Development Director, you will mentor other developers on the team across wide range of topics, including technology, consulting, and client relationships. You'll also work to build up the skills and capacities of our engineering team, support teammate engagement with the different programming communities we're members of, and provide guidance, scoping, and support with business opportunities. You'll work together with the Managing Director and Design Director of Boost, alongside global thoughtbot leadership, to manage the business and success of the Team.
This position is fully remote and is open to applicants located anywhere in the United States. We will begin reviewing applications the week of June 14th.
We believe that it is possible to continuously learn and improve the way people work while building higher-quality products that make positive contributions to the world. We work with companies in every step of the product development and maintenance process to help identify and solve problems. We lead and participate in product design sprints, build high-quality apps, and then deploy them.
We proactively work on improving diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at thoughtbot. We aim to maintain an inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive professionally, as well as have full lives outside of work. Read about our DEI efforts in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion section of our Playbook. We acknowledge that DEI work is never done, and that we will make mistakes along the way. We are continuously working on learning, improving ourselves, and the company.
As a member of thoughtbot, you’ll be part of our distributed remote community. We’re continuously working to assure remote work is inclusive, collaborative, comfortable, and social.
Want to dig deeper? Read more about our Purpose and Values, and how we work in our Playbook.
Beyond hands-on technical work, you'll support the Boost development team through:
- Professional development: Because we’re often embedding thoughtbot teammates alongside our clients’ teams, we look to build up our skill sets to support engagements ranging from feature work and bug fixes to refactoring, re-architecture, reducing performance bottlenecks, introducing new front- and back-end technologies, and making suggestions on product, process, and software development life cycle improvements. As a technical leader, you’ll be responsible for teammate upskilling and professional development.
- Hiring new teammates: We expect to continue to grow the Boost team for both technical consulting and adjacent roles. As a technical leader, you’ll be responsible for maintaining high standards through the hiring process while continuing to work to reduce bias and ensure an equitable interview process for all candidates.
- Retaining teammates: We aim to put each teammate in a position where they can seek fulfillment in all that they do; as Development Director, you’ll work closely with team leads and the development team to understand what fulfills them, and work with the Design and Managing Director of Boost to ensure our work aligns with the desires of the team.
- Identifying and closing work: More than two-thirds of the clients we partner with return for additional engagements; as Development Director, you’ll work closely with our teams and clients to ensure high-quality work is delivered and engage with often technical stakeholders at upcoming and current customers to scope and plan consulting engagements.
- Navigating consulting engagements: As software consultants, we work closely with our clients on a number of different types of engagements. In all cases, we’re brought in to consult on best practices and process improvements alongside technical work, the nature of which can be challenging given the need to navigate sometimes complex business relationships and needs across cross-functional teams.
Along with the other Directors on Boost, you'll be responsible for profitability of the team.
Very well-qualified candidates will also have experience leading consulting teams, and have a proven track record of attracting potential customers and maintaining long-term relationships.
Well-qualified candidates value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
We especially appreciate candidates that demonstrate commitment to valuing DEI and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment. We also understand that not everyone has had the opportunity to commit to this work, and that's okay.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match 100% of the requirements. Let us know if you need any specific accommodations during the interview process.
All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification upon hire.