Supplies needed: Whiteboard
Estimated time: 20 min
Best to use when
It is best to identify the job-to-be-done that the sprint
is trying to solve as early in
the process as possible.
Identifying the problem will help to determine
if there is a problem, if that
problem is solvable, and how to solve that problem.
This step will be the first
step to answering this question:
What is this product, and is it useful?
- The facilitator leads discussion by writing statements on the whiteboard for
everyone to see.
- Write down all of the potential problems that the user has.
- What are all the jobs-to-be-done?
- What is the problem that this product is going to solve?
- What is the motivation behind what the user wants?
- As a group decide which problem is the most critical.
- Continue to refine language around the Problem Statement.
- Leave up in a clear visible spot in the room so that it is easy to
reflect back on.